Pages

In the Kitchen: Grandma's Quick Cinnamon Buns

Today started out blustery here on the prairies and with that type of weather I had the sudden urge to bake - as baking seems to always bring a coziness over the house (especially if it's bread).  Lately, I've been turning to pinterest or my favorite food bloggers for recipes but today I decided to pull out some old cookbooks. The first one I pulled out was one that had been given to by my grandmother and as I began to flip through I found many scrap papers of recipes in her handwriting scattered throughout.  I instantly got a rush of memories and my heart was filled with joy thinking of the many days I spent alongside my grandma in her kitchen.  Those are some of the best memories! I love when you unexpectedly find yourself taken over by a flood of great memories and this make my need to bake stronger.

    

The recipe I settled on was Cinnamon Buns (Quick) {as it was written in her book} and I decided I'd share the recipe with you guys.


Quick Cinnamon Buns
(makes approx 18 buns)

Ingredients
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 margarine (I used butter)
1/2 sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp instant yeast
2 eggs
6 1/2 cup flour (approx)

1/2 cup better (softened)
3/4 cup brown sugar 
3 tbsp cinnamon

Directions
Combine milk, water, sugar, salt & butter (or margarine) in a pot over low heat until butter melted and milk is scalded, remove from heat  and let cool till lukewarm then mix in the yeast and eggs.  Gradually add flour stirring with a wooden spoon until a nice dough forms (add more flour as needed). Note: This could also be done in stand mixer fitted with a dough hook if so desired. Cover pot and let stand for 15 min.
Turn dough on to floured counter and roll out into an approx 18x12 rectangle. Spread with butter and top with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and cut into 1 inch slices. Place in a greased 9x13  Let rise in a warm space for 1 hour and bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.

(Oh, and I added pecans to the bottom of my pan)


Do you love to bake? Who do your baking memories involve? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say!